Africa Journal: Day 5 – December 31, 2008

From my journal:

“Well, we made it to Sebekoro today! After about 2 hours on the road and another 2 1/2 hours on the “road” (term used loosely this time…) we finally pulled into the village and were welcomed by a swarm of children.  As soon as they saw us in the van, they began cheering and chasing after us, and by the time we pulled to a stop near the missionary home, there was a crowd of children waiting for us to exit the van, and I thought … ‘here we go, this is what we’ve come for.’  There was no more training to be done, no more preparation to be made, we were in the thick of ministry as soon as we stepped out onto the ground, and I loved it!

I’ve had my moments the last few days, where I’ve been scared and felt completely inadequate.  Give me Your peace and wisdom.  Lord, help me to see that I am a child of God and that Your power is made perfect in my weakness …

We just finished our first group devotion time together out on the mission field, and I cannot begin to describe it in accurate detail.  The sky here is SO clear and I’ve never seen so many stars!  As we were worshipping tonight, I was a bit overwhelmed to be leading our team in this time under the African sky … I think it will be one of my most treasured memories from this trip.

What a great way to spend New Year’s Eve, and when I wake up in the morning, what a great way to start a new year … goodbye 2008, hello 2009!”

I remember being SO anxious all day to get to Sebekoro and to meet the people, and to immerse myself in their culture for the next week, but when we finally arrived after the drive through some of the roughest “roads” I’ve ever seen (we’re talking over boulders, through dry creek beds, etc) I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of kids that surrounded us upon our arrival … some of them just curious to see white people I’m sure, but others excited to have the guests and looking with anticipation I’m sure of having the activities that were sure to come in the following days.

After arriving in Sebekoro, we quickly took off on foot through the village to make our way to the courtyard of the Chief.  The 5-6 minute walk was full of us doing the best we could to introduce ourselves to the kids, holding hands, and prayer walking. Once we arrived at the Chief’s we greeted him and asked for permission to be in the village for the week.  We were greeted warmly, and looked forward to the ministry that was to come.

After worship that night I remember lying there before drifting off to sleep just in awe of who God is, and feeling so humble that He had chosen to use me on this trip…


Chief Jahweh Fofana in Sebekoro:



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: